Alicante, a vibrant city on the Mediterranean coast of Spain, is the favorite vacation destination of millions of tourists each year. People from all over the world come to Alicante and the Costa Blanca to relax, enjoy long sandy beaches and experience true Spanish flavor and charm.
This 2009 summer season is going to be hot and lively. Alicante is ready to offer you the best fun and great parties. Let’s take a look at the Top 10 things you can do in Alicante this summer to spend an unforgettable vacation:
1. Go to the wonderful beaches and get in touch with the Mediterranean. The weather is excellent, the days are sunny and the endless sea competes with the bright blue sky. Alicante invites you to visit some of the best beaches in Spain. Postiguet Beach, San Juan Beach, Urbanova Beach,… just to name a few.
2. Nightlife in the Old Town. The Old Town of Alicante, called El Barrio, is the best place to have a good time during the hot summer nights. Find your favorite bar, pub or nightclub! There are many diverse places to share and meet friends. Once the bars close (at 4 in the morning) do not stop, continue the party in the clubs of the La Marina complex.
3. Go up to the castles of Alicante. Alicante’s castles are fabulous symbols of its ancient past. Located on Mount Benacantil (Santa Bárbara Castle) and Mount Tossal (San Fernando Castle), they offer impressive views of the surroundings. Take your camera with you and take hundreds of great photos!
4. Visit the Archaeological Museum of Alicante – MARQ. Discover the archaeological treasures of Alicante and visit fascinating new exhibitions. This year, from April 2 to October 13, 2009, you will be able to enjoy ancestral aesthetics and The Beauty of the Body. This exhibition of masterpieces of Greek art is made in collaboration with the British Museum. Myron’s Discobolus will spend his summer vacation in Alicante.
5. The Bonfires of San Juan – Festival of the Bonfires of San Juan. It is one of the best festivals in Spain, declared of International Tourist Interest. It is organized from June 20 to 24 as the official festival of Alicante. Numerous colored figures made of paper and wood are distributed throughout the city and hundreds of thousands of visitors from all over the world gather in Alicante to enjoy this fantastic festival.
People make endless parades and carnivals during the day and night. The streets are filled with musical stages, tables and outdoor restaurants. The culmination is reached on the final night, at midnight, when all the figures are burned to the ground.
6. Alicante fireworks contest. At the end of the Bonfires of San Juan festival, you will be able to spend several more unforgettable nights. Just go to Postiguet beach at midnight (or a little earlier to find a spot) and watch a spectacular fireworks competition. These are the best fireworks I have ever seen. Your imagination will be amazed by a variety of shapes and colors.
7. Alicante Jazz Festival. From July 22 to 26, 2009, the 12th International Jazz Festival of Alicante is organized. There will be concerts by five well-known jazz groups: Roy Haynes Trio, The Manhattan Transfer, Al Di Meola World Sinfonia, Carla Bley Big Band and Spyro Gyra.
8. Alicante Film Festival. The 6th Alicante International Film Festival is organized from June 1 to 6, 2009. The events and film screenings take place at the Teatro Alicante, various cinemas in Alicante and at Ciudad de la Luz (the largest complex of film studios in Alicante). modern Europe).
9. Visit the Medieval Market. Related to the festival of the Bonfires, the Medieval Market of Alicante is organized during the last week of June in the Old Town. You can travel to the past, listen to old street music, buy traditional products, eat tasty and exotic food or visit the gypsy witch with divination cards.
10. Bullfight – bullfighting. During the Bonfires of San Juan, you can also experience something typically Spanish: bullfighting. The Bullfighting Fair 2009 is organized from June 17 to 28. There are 7 bullfights and 4 additional fights with bullfighters and picadores.
Whatever type of vacation you choose, you can spend it in Alicante. This wonderful city can satisfy all your needs and desires.